Monday, May 24, 2010

Saturday May 22, 2010

Day: 8

Today is the 5th year my grandfather has been gone. I can't believe it's been 5 years. I remember sitting there when it happened, how things have changed within the five years. Do I wish things were different? Do I miss seeing him and playing cards? Do I miss him calling me Lucie? Do I still laugh at the thought of the only time he scolded us for having a pillow fight? Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Today was hard for me emotionally 1. because I immediately thought of him and my family & 2. we went to the orphanage for the last time.

We woke up to head to the orphanage. It's about an hour and a half ride to the House of Faith in Chiang Dao. I can't express the feelings I have for that place and for those children. I know people say you never know a love until you are a mother, but these children really taught me how to love. The House of Faith is called an orphanage, but it's really like a huge Brady Bunch times 10! The children are so open to others that are different. They didn't care that we didn't look like them and that we spoke a different language. They are so geniuenly happy. There were some that I got to know a little more than others, but I know I got a hug from each of them at some point.

Today while we were there, we play with the children. It was so much fun! They taught us games that were new, and then some that were other versions of our games in America. We jumped rope first. This was interesting to see. We were definitely taller than the children, and so when the tall Americans jumped rope they really exaggerated to make the jump rope go high enough over our heads. It was so cute and kind for them to adjust to us. After jump rope, we played baseball. This was right up my alley. We played with a soccer ball and a stick on a basketball court (talk about integration). The rules were slighty different. There are no boundries or foul territory. If you fouled a ball behind you, you still run to first base. Also we didn't play with gloves since we played with a soccer ball, and so you can peg someone to get them out. There was this one boy on our team that we called Bamboo (you know, Babe?). He could kill the soccer ball, and I do believe he got a homerun every time. After baseball, we played a game that the kids had made up. If the game of dodge ball and monkey-in-the-middle had a baby, that's what this game would be. One group was in the middle, and the other group stood on the ends of the basketball court. The outside team got to throw the dodgeball at the team in the middle to try to hit the players to get them out. It was a lot of fun! We were running back and forth trying to not get hit.... and I was the last one left, and I was bobbin' and weavin' and then one of the boys threw this rocket of a dodgeball at me, and hit my knee.

While we were playing games, I realized something. We might all speak a different tongue, but we all laugh. We would all laugh at the same things. It helped make a connection between us and the children. We would laugh is someone fell down (wasn't me). It was nice to see that even though we are all extremely different; we have a lot of similiarties.

After the games, we went back to the house and gathering spot in the orphanage to cool down a little bit. Have I mentioned how hot Thailand is! Dr. Browning had taken a few of us on a little tour of the orphanage. She had showed us the fruit trees that the group from last year had bought for the orphanage. It was really cool to see the work of last years group still going strong. She was telling us that the house parents were wanting to plant a rice field so the children can learn how to grow crops and be sufficient without relying on others. The cost of clearing the land would be 9,000 Baht which is only 300 US dollars. They are also needing a male pig so they can make babies. They aren't asking for material things, but things that are useful and needed for their everyday lives. We are taking up an offering tomorrow at church for the orphanage, rice field, and husband pig. We took the whole orphanage out to dinner down the street. They were so happy, and so polite and respectful. It was a lot of fun eating the boys at our table.

After lunch, we went back and played a couple of "inside" games. They were so much fun, everyone had a good ole time. We sang some worship songs with the students, and it still amazes me that we are all singing the same song in a different language. I wish I could express the worship of the children. The house parents aren't leading worship, the children are. We send our children to the nursery or sunday school during church, but these children are a miniature choir that takes my breath away every single time. (See why today was so emotional?) We then prayed over the children and left. It was really hard to say goodbye to the children. I know I'm never going to see them again. It hit me, and it hurt. I can't express my feelings for these children. No one will understand.

We came back to the hotel, and had class. Ate dinner, and couldn't enjoy the Night Bazaar because of the same ole curfew at 9 oclock. Tonight is the last night of the curfew.